Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Star Trek

I am once again living my childhood through the latest Star Trek movie. Yes...I confess...I was a trekkie in an earlier life and even attended a convention or two. No, I didn't dress up and put pointy ears on, but I had friends who were huge fans and we had a blast.

I realize in hindsight, that one of my favorite childhood memories involve Star Trek. See, my father, who worked as an attorney, was able to get off work early and come by the house to 'watch the kids' for mom. (My parents divorced when I was 4 but it was fairly amicable - mom just couldn't live with my father's alcoholism.)

When dad was sober, he was bright, funny, and a fan of Star Trek (but now I'm thinking it might have been just the short skirts he liked...hmmm...). But my memories of Star Trek were coming home from school, dad showing up, turning on the TV and we'd watch Star Trek for an hour.

Definately happy times...

So, now, this movie comes out. And it's a really good movie. Really. Good. I've actually seen it twice now since it came out on Thursday night - saw it on Saturday night with my (also former Trekkie) husband, and just by myself on Monday (my day off from work).

I also came across this little gem of a video. I haven't been one to get involved in all of the spinoffs of the original Trek series, but I have seen a few - anyway, loved the video about the whole Star Trek universe:



Of course, now we have this...hold on to your tricorders everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment